Thursday 18 April 2013

Can we live alone?


 “We can live without religion and meditation, but we cannot survive without human affection”
                                                                                                                                        --- Dalai Lama

Quite recently I have developed a habit of sorts to think about life before I drift off to sleep every night, and seldom have these thoughts carried over to the next day waking me up to bizarre mornings. One such night I was thinking about how different each person around me is. I thought about how each of them contributes to my life every day in their own personal manner. And then I thought if I could ever live rationally if none of them existed around me. We all know that man is a social animal in a quite extreme manner. We try to keep in touch with our loved ones by all possible means, be it personally, or through all the various technologies that exist around us. Man has become social to an extent that various networking sites and our blackberries have become our lives. And still we complain that we all need our space. This made me question the existence and the influence of technology in our life. And I wondered if we had all the things in the world served to us on a plate, would we able to survive alone without any other sign of life?
The major question underlining this situation is about the definition of “living alone”. “Knowing how to live alone” does not mean to live in solitude. It means to have control of you and to have freedom and not be bogged down by the circumstances of the past or the present.
 I cherish and am very protective of my own chosen moments of solitude, but I also know that long periods of time alone can send me into a depressive state, or make me feel like I'm going crazy. More specifically, a kind of panic sets in when I realize I'm alone with my thoughts with no one to affirm or deny the soundness of my thoughts. When I'm by myself for too long, I start to question my own understanding of reality and everything around me.
We constantly need interactions with others because they are such a momentous part of how we understand and enjoy this life and our reason for living. It is important to remember that everyone around us lives in a world that we create.

---Mediajunkie

No comments:

Post a Comment