Monday 15 April 2013

RELIGIOUS/ AGNOSTIC/ ATHEIST- MY JOURNEY SO FAR




 “I don’t have a religion. I believe in a God. I don’t know what it looks like but it’s my God. My own interpretation of the supernatural.”
Religion, God, self, I think metaphysics in whole, are things that have really fascinated me since I was a child. The need to know more because there is no definite answer is what I loved about it. My family has always been tolerant to all kinds of religion; however, my mother being the more religious one ardently followed Jainism. As a child, I was close to my mother; looked up to her and believed that everything she said or did was right, without really questioning it. So there’s not much to say, I followed my mother’s every move,  she went to the temple to pray, so did I, she would study and learn more about Jainism, I did too. She learnt the chants and I learnt them too. To be really honest I quite enjoyed it. I felt strong and safe and it brought about this ‘different’ kind of calmness within me, something I could not describe in words. It could just be felt, something intensely deep. It’s not like I grew intolerant to any other religion only because I followed Jainism. I loved going to Hindu temples, and mosques and churches. I enjoyed it all. I followed the same practice till I was old enough to question, to comprehend, till I was ready to explore new horizons. This was my fairytale stage.
 When I was about thirteen years old I asked my classmate who was Muslim if she actually read the Quran five times a day. I asked her about her religion since we were studying something about Islam. I found it to be extremely interesting. I’d come home and use the internet to read more about not only Islam but also about other religions. It was so fascinating their ideas about how the world came into being, about life, people, God, everything. It made me wonder and think about things that I never thought meant anything to me.
The realistic/ agnostic stage soon followed. I believe that the turning point came when I was in the ninth grade. I had opted for yoga philosophy as my subject. That is when I began to get completely involved in learning more. I felt the need to know more, something that I actually believed in with all my heart. I studied Yoga philosophy for two years but I still didn’t know what religion inspired me, I didn’t know which God I really believed in. i gradually stopped going to the temple and doing other religious practices but I did continue to learn more about Jainism. This made my mother really upset and she would try and coax me to go visit the temple at least once a day but I never listened only because I thought that things like this cannot be habituated it’s something that should come from within. Something you truly believe in. Luckily my parents are really open- minded, they always spoke to me about this and we’d have a discussion about our ideas, views and beliefs.
However, what I did come to realize is that I never stopped believing in a God. I remember in times of need I’d always pray or look up towards the sky and blurt out whatever it was that I couldn’t hold on to any longer. School went by and I decided I wanted to pursue philosophy further more and I did. The more I learned, the more I knew, and my mind started opening up. Things became clearer than what they used to be. Studying philosophy was the best thing that had happened to me because when  sat for that class I knew I had certain beliefs of my own, what this class did was make me question those beliefs, while some remained as they were, some grew stronger and many  even changed. 
Knowing about God and religion was important me, it had always been. It gave me something to believe in strongly, something that I believe reflected my thoughts, my ideas about life, something that wasn’t materialistic or selfish.  It was something that set me free, brought me inner peace, brought me closer to myself. They were my own theories and no one could tell me if I was right or wrong in believing what I did. I am open to new ideas and I often wait for someone or something that can change my beliefs or make them stronger. I am religious but I don’t follow anything particular; I believe that religion is a way of life, a path that you chose for yourself, could be the wrong but it does lead somewhere. We chose what that somewhere is going to be. For a musician, it’s his music that is his religion. He believes in it and looks up to it. He follows it but each path has a wrong turn so either he makes it or breaks it. This applies to everyone. We all have a choice to make and there is no right or wrong.  We do what we love doing and at that point of time we made a certain choice only cause we wanted to. I am not agnostic either. I do believe in something most people call it God but my idea of God is different. I don’t believe that God is a controller, destroyer or maker. He is not omniscient, omnipotent all loving and benevolent. I believe God is in all of us. God lies in truth, in kindness, in humanity, in love, in sorrow, in hard work, in sincerity, in success and in failure. God is everywhere. God is both male and female. God is in all that’s living. Well, I am definitely not an atheist and I don’t think I’ll ever be. My journey so far has been a great learning experience, from following Jainism blindly to being lost in transition and finally having a religion and God of my own, the individual, extra-ordinary reality. 

Sanika Shah
FSLE-3

No comments:

Post a Comment